Everyone's sick at our house today. It seems like lots of activity and excitment almost always ends with a period of the flu. The boys have a nasty cough with a runny noses, while Alex has his typical achy body, swollen glands, and sore throat.
Poor guys.

Little Simon will be turning 2 in a couple of weeks and I can hardly believe it has already been a year since his first birthday party. I've been struggling lately with what, if anything to get him. I'm not sure I'm ok with this material mindset that kids must aquire lots and lots of stuff every birthday and Christmas just BECAUSE. They don't need anything or necessarily want anything but for some reason we're expected to dish it out. Honestly, how many toys does one little guy need? Not to mention the fact that he really doesn't care about presents; tearing open the paper yes, but the presents inside, not so much.
I hope that my kids will grow up to not only be thankful for their things but to cherish and take care of them. It seems like throwing "disposable" toys at my boys every chance we get kind of goes against that philosophy.
Then there's the question of other people buying things for them. Should I ask that toys meet certain specifications and come off as a control freak, or allow them to receive the presents taking a prompt thrift store trip shortly thereafter.
Oh dear.... so many questions, so much to think about.
Meanwhile the two designated toy shelves are slowly overflowing despite my efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment