Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Quilt

I just recently finished this graduation quilt for my sister. I originally intended to use the "Gathering Flowers" pattern from Anna Maria Horner, but after a little discouragement from my aunt, and the reality that it needed to be finished in a couple weeks I opted for an easier option.



Essentially the only plan was, there is no plan. My feelings about it were sort of high and low as well going from, "I love it!" to "eek I don't really like it that much..." to "its pretty" and then finally.... I really do love it. It has spent the last week on the back of our coach and I think I'm really going to miss it. Hopefully all of the love we've given it will rub off on Mary once she heads off into the world.



I'll just have to make another some time. As if we don't already have enough blankets around this house.... :)

A few things to remember for the future would be.
1. The idea of sewing a huge quilt is a lot more soothing then the reality...I think I'm more of a knitter.
2. Stippling however, is lovely and I wouldn't mind a bit if I had a whole day to do so.
3. Be sure to use a thimble, or two. unlike me.
4. Some fabrics are just too beautiful to be cut up in tiny squares. Fortunately I realized this in time to save a few covetted fat quarters.



So quilting is more stressful then I suspected, and takes up way too much space to just throw in a drawer somewhere (like kniting.) But, I'm already making plans for number two because.... there's just something so wholesome, and cozy about quilts... I can't exactly put my finger on it, but whatever it is, I sure do like it.

2 comments:

  1. I miss quilting so much! The final product turned out beautifully and I know that Mary is going to love it!
    I've already talked my mom into sending all of my quilting supplies over to Hawaii once we're settled in, I'm pretty sure I'm designating one room just for some unfinished products of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is beautiful! I love it! The colors are awesome; I am sure she will love it! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete