Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Dresser for the Boys




After stripping the top and hosing the inside out.






If you are wondering "Does she have something in her mouth..?" you would be correct. In fact, it's actually   a rock.
So I grabbed this solid wood beauty out of an old house in Wyoming with my mom. Yes, we had permission if you're wondering and no, it wasn't a sweet lovely old house like you would imagine, more like sad and smelly.
Unfortunately it smelled rather strongly of an indoor smoker and the smell just would not leave. Never a good smell for the clothes of little boys.
Anyway, I ended up giving the inside a good hose out with some bleach water and then let it sit out in the sun to dry. The rest of the dresser was sanded down inside and out as well as stripped.
If you haven't ever used stripper you have got to try the stuff. Holy cow, the paint just comes right up. It's miraculous I tell you! Although I would highly recommend putting down plastic all over the place like the directions say.

I am completely in love with the color. It's Aragon Green and I've been scheming up other things to paint with my leftovers. Everyone knows how it is with paint- you win some, you lose some. This was definitely a winner. It's a like an oceany seaweed green. That's what I would have named it anyhow.

The knobs I picked up on a visit to North Carolina. They have a great antique store there with tons of old/antique salvaged materials like doors, windows, entryways, molding, hardware, clawfoot tubs, knobs, ect... It's heavenly really. The knobs were only 50 cents a piece!

I just did a simple finish to the stripped/sanded wood, just some Johnsons Wax Finish. It was recommended to me by the guy at Lowes and it really is simple and perfect.
Last night I rubbed some candle wax all over the bottom of the drawers because they were sticking and well, lets just say my husband doesn't have an appreciation of old beautiful things that don't open very well... Problem solved. Thank you Google. :)



4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Great job Annie! You've inspired me to at least dust off an old dresser I have in the garage that is need of the same treatment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful!! Yay for Google! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fabulous! Love the raw wood paint combo, perfect, can you come around to my casa and do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea with the wood and paint combo. The Knobs are perfect and what a deal.
    Thanks for visiting me and my Blue and White Gnome Hat, stop by and visit later on...I will be giving it and another one away, and I will post the pattern on Ravelry once I test it...hence the second hat.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie - The Handmade Homemaker

    ReplyDelete