Then Simon was born and we both realized that we loved Simon very differently than we loved each other. Not more necessarily, just a different love altogether. A consuming and selfless love.
I'll admit that when at 6 months postpartum I realized I was pregnant AGAIN there was a moment or two of. "I can't be pregnant. I love Simon so much and he's simply too little to have to share me! What about poor little Simon?" Of course as the life inside me grew each day those feeling passed and were replaced by my love of this new little being. This little life that would become Simon's best friend and constant companion.
Fast forward 3 years and one more addition to the family later, and my thoughts on babies and families have grown as well. I watch Simon and Maria together and I think of how odd it is that despite my past feelings of having to divide my love, somehow she is loved on even more than he was. And because of the constant love that she is given each day by all of us, we are in return loved more. We are loved more because we are loved by her and by one another.This love within our family hasn't divided at all, it just continues to multiply!
And you can see it, and feel it. It's amazing it really is.
Something that can't be explained only experienced, and you either know what I'm talking about or you don't.
But a number of times recently as I've watched the boys following Maria around, retrieving her toys and rescuing her from herself and most recently from her pack n'play, as I've discovered Simon quietly keeping a (so I thought sleeping) sister company, as I've listened to Maria belly laugh at her older brothers, or lunge in for a big wet slobbery kiss and be met by a willing little boy- I think to myself how much more love there is in our house now then there ever was before.
****This blog will be temporarily "Private" for the next month due to my husbands job But, I'll be back by the end of next month. Wishing everyone a beautiful September!
that's wonderful! Oh, I will miss your blog posts! You are in my prayers.
ReplyDelete